Sunday, April 22, 2012

Surgery has taken over my life...but I love it!

I started my Surgery Rotation about 6 weeks ago and it definitely has consumed my life. The hours are crazy (waking up at 4am 6 days a week is no joke) not to mention I have to fit in study time for my surgery exam on May 5th. However, no complaining here. It's been such a great experience! I've learned so much and have officially confirmed that I love being in the operating room. Continue reading below, where I share a memorable experience when I was taking 24-hr call...

Around 8pm the calls started coming as myself and the on-call surgery resident briskly walked the hospital, going from room to room seeing patients. Within the next hour, I was in the operating room scrubbing in for an laparoscopic appendectomy. The operation was completed in about 45 minutes, and after taking the patient to post-op we were on our way to answer another call. The call I will always remember...

The patient was a transfer from an outside hospital in critical condition. Unresponsive and connected to every life support monitor possible, his chance of survival was slim. Surgery was consulted for a specific concern (which will go unmentioned to maintain patient confidentiality), which in our eyes would provide little benefit to the patient if he were to undergo emergent surgery. The on-call resident and attending spoke to the patient's family about the proposed options. The family clearly requested that everything be done to save his life. Therefore, after talking to the family, it was agreed that the patient would undergo surgery if he showed no signs of improvement over the next couple of hours. As time passed, the patient continued to decompensate so it was determined that Trauma Surgery team would proceed to surgical treatment at the bedside rather than in the OR, due to the patient's unstable condition. Anesthesia declined involvement in the procedure, as they were convinced that the patient was brain dead based on neurological assessment. Despite Anesthesia's decision, the OR was brought to the bedside including all surgical equipment, sterile dressings, and staff. The incision time was 2:43am.

During the surgery, it was determined that the patient's condition was incompatible with life. The procedure was aborted and the incision was closed. It was the life support monitors keeping the patient alive. Immediately after the incision was closed and we de-gowned, the attending and I went to find the family to deliver the news...

Go to the "Medicine" section to continue reading about my first experience with delivering the news to a family that their loved one had died. It was such a powerful moment and one to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment